7671 Shūgorō Hasuda (1915-2010)
A bronze flower vessel of geometric form
Japan 20th century Shōwa period
Dimensions: H. 24 cm x W. 16 cm x D. 17.5 cm (9½” x 6½” x 7″)
Tomobako (original box) inscribed:
Lid: Shudōko (red bronze vessel) Chimata (Street)
Lid interior: Shūgorō with seal
Signed Shūgorō to base
Shūgorō Hasuda was born in Kanazawa City, Ichikawa Prefecture and in 1928 entered the Ichikawa Prefectural Industrial School before continuing his studies at the Tokyo School of Art, graduating in 1938. He was invited to exhibit at the 5th Nitten (The Japan Fine Art Exhibition) in 1949 where his work received special recognition and in 1953 he received Nitten’s prestigious Hokuto prize and in 1959, he was awarded the Mombudaijinsho, a highly regarded prize given by the Minister of Education.
Hasuda participated in founding the Gendai Kōgei Bijutsuka Kyōkai (Creative Crafts Association) in 1961 and became an assistant professor at Tokyo University of the Arts in the same year. The following year, two of his pieces, with their instantly recognisable architectural form, were chosen as official gifts for the prime minister of West Germany and also the president of Mexico.